Grilled Salmon with Bacon & Honey-Bourbon BBQ Glaze
Just when you thought Grilled Salmon couldn’t get any better.
Hey GRILL-MASTERS… This recipe for Salmon with Bacon & Honey-Bourbon BBQ Glaze cooked on the grill will seal in that title of Grill HERO you’ve wished for. There’s no need for trying to decide – Bacon or Salmon tonight? This time you’re grillin’ both!
Don’t raise your eyebrows. In this yummy salmon recipe, bacon says goodbye to the idea that it might have ever been a Fad. H-E-L-L-O solid culinary technique….
Here’s why bacon is such a good combo for this recipe.
First, bacon contains a bunch of fat, that helps leaner cuts of fish, like salmon, to be insulated from the grills intense heat as it cooks and bastes. While the oil renders out of the pork, the fish is flavored and seasoned from the salt and additional flavors that bacon is adding as it smokes and cooks. Secondly, besides helping to keep the salmon from sticking to the grill, the bacon lends added structure to hold the fillet together.
I knew you’d see the absolute brilliance in this method.
The best news is that because of the glaze, a combination of sweet and savory ingredients; honey, gluten-free BBQ sauce, and sweet bourbon whiskey, this easy, no-fuss main course has a way of convincing just about anyone that you are indeed a Grill-HERO without too much work on your part.
Each ingredient unites forming an amazing gooey glaze that coats the bacon covered salmon, caramelizing on the grill to create a masterpiece of crispness, sweet and savory. A combination that keeps the salmon moist while elevating it in the OMG taste arena.
For this salmon post, we’ve used salmon fillets about 1-inch thick, but we’ve also done the same thing with salmon steaks. We also removed the skin and deboned them before cooking, and place them on a foil pan for grilling, additionally helping to keep the salmon flaky and moist.
I know you’ll love how easy this grilled salmon is to prepare — made with simple ingredients that give it just the right amount of smokiness to give it flavor, and strips of bacon on top to keep it together, making it super moist.
Easy Grilled Salmon with Bacon & Honey-Bourbon BBQ Glaze
- Foil pan
- Preheat your grill to 325ºF according to manufacturer instructions, including apple or cherry wood for smoking.
- While the grill is heating, combine the honey and whiskey in a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together, and microwave on medium heat for one minute.
- Whisk in the BBQ sauce. Coat the salmon on each side using about half of the combined honey, whiskey and BBQ sauce mixture set aside.
- Drizzle the olive oil in the bottom of a short-sided aluminum foil pan or pie plate. Add a thin layer of the BBQ sauce for the salmon to rest on top.
- Arrange the coated salmon in the prepared pan and drizzle the remaining honey, whiskey and BBQ sauce mixture on top. Add the bacon strips over the top and season with the pepper.
- When the grill is up to temperature, add the prepared pan with the salmon to the grill and cook uncovered for approximately 15 minutes.
Copyright © 2017-2020 Kymberley Pekrul | G-Free Deliciously | gfreedeliciously.com | All content, and photographs are copyright protected. The sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please read my Photo Use Policy for detailed guidelines and further clarification.
(Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.)