It’s A Favorite Country Baked Oatmeal Kind of Morning
If you’re not familiar with baked oatmeal, the best way to describe it is to think of it as a comforting breakfast casserole.
What is Baked Oatmeal?
Unlike instant oatmeal or cooking oatmeal in a pan on the stovetop, baked oatmeal is cooked in the oven. When making it in the oven, it bakes to a consistency similar to bread pudding.
Endless variations can be made because it’s easily adapted to your family’s taste. For instance, adding whatever fruits and nuts you have in your pantry can make it a great breakfast casserole for customizing.
Our family’s favorite Country Baked Oatmeal is made with blueberries and brown sugar sprinkled on top for serving.
Because it’s easy to make ahead of time and reheat again on busy mornings, it’s super convenient for weekday breakfasts when there’s not a lot of time to spare before rushing out the door for work or school.
I also made this recipe on my first day as a new blogger. You can read more about that day here.
GET RECIPES • RESOURCES • +eNEWS UPDATES & MORE STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX !
Simple and delicious gluten-free recipes, family-friendly meal ideas, healthy cooking, encouragement, and easy-to-implement lifestyle strategies to live fully nourished… Only from GfreeDeliciously!
Tips for Country Baked Oatmeal –
Use these tips as a guide for personalizing the recipe…
- Use old-fashioned rolled oats, not quick oats. Quick oats do not cook well in baked oatmeal.
- Make this baked oatmeal recipe dairy-free by substituting almond milk, cashew milk, or coconut milk instead of cow’s milk.
- Baked Oatmeal can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To reheat the oatmeal, place a serving in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
- You can also freeze Baked Oatmeal. Scoop the oatmeal into individual portions, top each amount with plastic wrap, cover with foil or lid and freeze for later use — Thaw the oatmeal portions before reheating.
- Use your family’s favorite fruits: Try apples, cranberries, peaches, and strawberries, or add your favorite nuts for a little crunch.
- Try using other spices. Apple pie spice is a good swap-out for cinnamon.
- Top with honey or maple syrup to sweeten before serving.
Favorite Country Baked Oatmeal
- 8 x 11 Baking Dish
- Spray an 8 x 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add other ingredients. Mix and pour into the prepared pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- When preparing baked oatmeal for the week ahead, cool completely before refrigerating. Cover the baking dish with foil or plastic wrap or store individual servings in glass dishes for easy reheating. Refrigerate for up to one week. Enjoy!
Recipe Card powered by WP Recipe Maker
(Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.)
Copyright © 2017-2023 Kymberley Pekrul | GfreeDeliciously | gfreedeliciously.com | All content and photographs are copyright protected. The sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. However, copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please read my Photo Use Policy for detailed guidelines and further clarification.