It’s A Favorite Country Baked Oatmeal Kind of Morning
If you’re not familiar with baked oatmeal, the best way to describe it is to think of it as a comforting breakfast casserole.
Unlike instant oatmeal or making oatmeal in a pan on the stovetop, baked oatmeal is cooked in the oven where it bakes to a consistency similar to bread pudding.
There are endless variations that can be made – being easily adapted to your family’s taste with the addition of whatever fruits and nuts you have in your pantry. Our family’s favorite Country Baked Oatmeal is made with blueberries and brown sugar sprinkled on top for serving.
Easy to make ahead of time and reheat again on busy mornings, it’s super convenient for weekday breakfasts when there’s not a lot of time to spare before rushing out the door for work or school.
Tips for Country Baked Oatmeal –
Use these tips as a guide for personalizing the recipe…
- Use old-fashioned rolled oats, not quick oats. Quick oats do not cook well in baked oatmeal.
- Make this baked oatmeal recipe dairy-free by substituting almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk instead of cows milk.
- Baked Oatmeal can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To reheat the oatmeal, place a serving in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds.
- You can also freeze Baked Oatmeal. Scoop the oatmeal into individual portion containers, top the portion with plastic wrap, cover with foil or lid and freeze for later use — Thaw the oatmeal portions before reheating.
- Use your family’s favorite fruits: Try apples, cranberries, peaches, strawberries or add your favorite nuts to add a little crunch.
- Try using other spices. Apple pie spice is a good swap out for cinnamon.
- Top with honey or maple syrup to sweeten before serving.
Country Baked Oatmeal
- 8 x 11 Baking Dish
- Spray 8 x 11-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pour boiling water over oatmeal in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add other ingredients. Mix and pour into prepared pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350-degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- When preparing baked oatmeal for the week ahead, be sure to cool completely before refrigerating. Cover the baking dish with foil or plastic wrap or store individual servings in individual glass serving dishes for easy reheating. Refrigerate for up to one week. Enjoy!
Copyright © 2017-2019 Kymberley Pekrul | G-Free Deliciously | gfreedeliciously.com
(Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.)