Healthy Cinnamon-y, Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins with Toasted Walnuts
Warm cinnamon-y, Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins with Toasted Walnuts make the perfect breakfast-on-the-go, snack, or dessert.
When Summer Turns Into Fall, Make these Muffins!
One of my favorite things to bake when Summer turns into Fall is muffins.
I love how convenient muffins are. They make the house smell warm and inviting, and they’re great for grabbing when you’re on the go!
And despite most muffins getting a bad rap for being high in calories (typically around 400 calories each or more) because of the amount of fat and sugar used, these gluten-free muffins are chocked full of nutritious ingredients to cut the calories and fuel your day.
To make them, we use applesauce to replace part of the fat and dried cranberries to provide natural sweetness. We’ve included walnuts to add extra texture, giving the muffins a delicious little bit of crunch and make them super satisfying too!
Toasting the walnuts before adding them enhances the nutty flavor and goodness of the muffins. And, you can’t beat how they accentuate the natural flavor and fragrance in the muffins while they’re baking!
Gluten-Free Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins with Toasted Walnuts
- 12-Muffin tin
- Paper muffin cups
- mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Utensils - Whisk, Spoon, Rubber spatula, Scoop
- 1 ½ cups Gluten-Free Thick Rolled Oats plus 2 Tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup gluten-free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup prepared Applesauce regular or chunky
- ½ cup 2% Milk
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 1 large Egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup Toasted Walnuts chopped
- ½ cup Dried Cranberries chopped
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Palm Sugar  sprinkle on top before baking
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Line a standard 12-muffin tin with paper baking cups or lightly spray each cup with cooking spray.
- Combine oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, in a large bowl and whisk together. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Using a separate bowl, add applesauce, milk, oil, and egg, blend to combine. Add to oat and flour mixture; stirring until the ingredients become moistened.
- Stir in the cranberries and nuts.
- Divide the batter equally between the muffin cups; a large ice-cream scoop works well to measure the batter for approximately 1/2 to 1/3 cup per scoop (+/-) for 12 muffins.
- Sprinkle each batter-filled cup with a pinch or two of the remaining two tablespoons of oats and one or two pinchs of coconut palm sugar.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan placed on a wire rack for 5 minutes; remove from the pan and serve warm.
(Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.)
Copyright © 2017-2020 Kymberley Pekrul | G-Free Deliciously | gfreedeliciously.com | All content, and photographs are copyright protected. The sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please read my Photo Use Policy for detailed guidelines and further clarification.