Healthy Cinnamon-y, Cranberry, Toasted Walnut and Oatmeal Muffins
“Fall” in love with this not-so-typical Cranberry, Toasted Walnut and Oatmeal muffin recipe that uses applesauce to replace part of the fat. As a bonus, the combination of cinnamon, toasted walnuts, and sweet cranberry combine to fill your kitchen with the delicious smells of baked fall goodness!
When Summer turns to Fall I can’t help but get excited about making and eating muffins. I love how convenient muffins are for grabbing when pinched for time before heading out for morning yoga, needing a mid-morning snack or even wanting a bit of dessert to top off a meal.
Despite most muffins getting a bad rap for being high in calories (typically around 400 calories each, or more) due to the amount of fat and sugar used, these hearty gluten-free muffins are chocked full of healthy and highly nutritious ingredients to cut the calories and fuel your day. Using applesauce in the recipe to replace part of the fat, in combination with dried cranberries provides a natural sweetness in the muffins; while including walnuts adds extra texture to the chew giving the muffins a delicious little bit of crunch. Toasting the walnuts before adding them enhances the nutty flavor and goodness of the muffins. And, you can’t beat how toasting the walnuts accentuates the natural flavor and fragrance in the muffins while they’re baking!
Gluten-Free Healthy Cinnamon-y, Cranberry, Toasted Walnut and Oatmeal Muffins
- 12-Muffin tin
- Paper muffin cups
- mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Utensils - Whisk, Spoon, Rubber spatula, Scoop
- 1 ½ cups Gluten-Free Thick Rolled Oats plus 2 Tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup gluten-free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Light Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup prepared Chunky Applesauce
- ½ cup 2% Milk
- ¼ cup Canola Oil
- 1 large Egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup Toasted Walnuts chopped
- ½ cup Dried Cranberries chopped
- 2 tablespoons Maple Sugar* sprinkle on top before baking
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Line a standard 12-muffin tin with paper baking cups or lightly spray each cup with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, whisk together. Add brown sugar and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add applesauce, milk, oil, and egg, blend to combine. Add to oat and flour mixture; stirring until the ingredients become moistened.
- Stir in the cranberries and nuts.
- Divide the batter equally between the muffin cups; a large ice-cream scoop works well to measure the batter for approximately 1/2 to 1/3 cup per scoop (+/-) for 12 muffins.
- Sprinkle each batter-filled cup with a pinch or two of the remaining two tablespoons of oats and a little of the coconut palm sugar.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Cool muffins in the pan placed on a wire rack for 5 minutes; remove from the pan and serve warm.
Copyright © 2017-2020 Kymberley Pekrul | G-Free Deliciously | gfreedeliciously.com
(Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.)