Easy Homemade BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Do you need a quick lunch or dinner? Then, make these wonderfully delicious BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. Made with flavorful Homemade BBQ Sauce, Classic Creamy Coleslaw, onion, and bread and butter pickles, it will be your next favorite sandwich. And (BTW) Leftover barbeque chicken is super yummy for making a quick personal pan pizza that’s to die for good!
An affordable easy meal in minutes...
If you’re looking for an affordable, easy meal and a sandwich that your family will go nuts over, then you will want to make these easy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches!
I had forgotten about these chicken sandwiches until recently when I discovered that there was no barbeque sauce in the house. Because we are limiting our trips to town these days, I decided to make my own from scratch. You can find my recipe for Homemade BBQ Sauce in ‘A Pinch’ in a sister post to this one. What can I say? Many of my recipes tend to end up tying together in one way or another. So anyhow, that is when and how I thought of it in the first place.
My recipe for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches is one of those recipes that is almost hard to believe that it can be so easy to make because it is SO DELICIOUS!
A few things to keep in mind...
First, you need to know that just because they are called BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, the name does not necessarily mean that the chicken needs to ‘grill’ on an outdoor grill. Although I have cooked the chicken on an outdoor grill when making this recipe, BBQ is a term that lends itself to being more about the flavor than the method in which the food is cooked.
Second, seriously, this recipe works equally well and is just as super delicious when the chicken is cooked indoors using a grill pan or frypan. The ultimate taste in the sandwich comes from the combination of flavors from the chicken, the sauce, creamy coleslaw, onion, and pickle.
The Best Sandwiches require Great Sandwich Toppings...
This recipe is suitable for making ahead of time too!
You can cook up the chicken and get it ready to go in the sauce, store it in the refrigerator, warm it up when you need it, and have it ready to serve in a few minutes!
I also like using the leftover chicken and sauce to make quick pan pizzas for lunch. And that, my friends, is a new recipe for yet another day. See how this all starts tying together?
Here is my recipe for BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. I hope you love ‘em as much as we do!
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Grill (indoor or outdoor), grill pan or skillet
- Utensils (Meat Mallet, Heat-proof Spatula or Grill Tongs)
- Plastic Wrap
For the BBQ Chicken
- 2 large Chicken Breast halves pounded to 1/2-inch thickness and cut in half 
- drizzle Olive Oil
- dash Salt
- dash Black Pepper
- 1 recipe Homemade BBQ Sauce
For the Sandwich
- 4 gluten-free Buns
- Garnish with our recipe for Creamy Coleslaw
- Red Onion slices
- Bread and Butter Pickle slices
For the BBQ Chicken
- Preheat the outdoor grill to approximately 350°F or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Pound the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap with the smooth side of a meat mallet to 1/2 -inch thickness, then cut each breast in half to make two portions from each breast half.
- Lightly drizzle each portion with olive oil on both sides to prevent the chicken from sticking to the grill pan. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- When the grill (or grill pan) is hot, add the chicken and cook for two minutes, flip over and cook two minutes longer, flip again this time rotating half a turn to achieve perfect grill marks, then once more for the final turn. You are looking to cook the chicken for a total of two-to-three minutes cooking per side (four flips) and an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the grill to a saucepan then toss in homemade BBQ sauce to infuse the chicken with the flavor of the sauce. Let simmer on low heat until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, spread an even light coating of mayonnaise on the inside top and bottom layer of each bun. Toast the buns on the grill with the remaining grill heat for a minute or two.
For the Sandwich
- When the buns are toasted, add the chicken to the bottom bun portion, next add a dollop of creamy coleslaw, a few red onion slices, and two bread and butter pickle slices. Top with the other half of the bun.
(Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.)
Copyright © 2017-2023 Kymberley Pekrul | GfreeDeliciously | gfreedeliciously.com | All content and photographs are copyright protected. The sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. However, copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please read my Photo Use Policy for detailed guidelines and further clarification.