Bacon-wrapped hotdogs are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner! In this recipe, I stuff them up with chipotle cheddar cheese and serve them up authentic steakhouse style using canned beans for an at-home meal full of robust, slow-cooked flavor that takes just minutes to prepare.
When you’re looking for a budget-friendly quick meal, hotdogs are a natural choice. And the good news is that if you need to eat gluten-free, there are several brands to choose from that are certified gluten-free. Be sure to read the packaging and look for the gluten-free symbol or the gluten-free designation on the label.
What to look for when buying healthy hotdogs...
In addition to the hotdogs being gluten-free, you will want to look for uncured beef franks with no filler or by-products, no antibiotics, no added hormones, and from animals that have, and have eaten all-vegetarian feeds.
Because we rarely use a bun for hotdogs at our house, we also prefer to buy the hefty stadium-size hotdogs (78 grams) per serving. These jumbo hotdogs are just a little bit bigger, and they leave you feeling satisfied but not over-stuffed; and they’re perfect for stuffing with cheese, wrapping with bacon, and cooking on the grill.
For this recipe, we’ve done just that, by cutting a slit in the hotdogs about halfway through, lengthwise the full length of the hotdog, then stuffing them with chipotle cheddar cheese. After they are stuffed, we wrap them with a slice of bacon and grill them until the bacon is fully cooked, carefully rotating them as they cook to keep the cheese inside the hotdogs.
When the bacon is cooked to your liking, remove the hotdogs from the grill and place them into the pan with the preheated canned beans. Spoon the beans over the hotdogs and simmer for 1-2 minutes until ready to serve.
Worth mentioning is our favorite kind of canned beans...
This recipe for Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Hotdogs & Beans would not be complete without mentioning our favorite kind of canned beans.
The perfect side dish for many grilled favorites, and especially for this recipe, we are using a can of Bushs® Steakhouse Recipe Grillin’ Beans®. Before I go on further, please know that this is not a sponsored post, and I am not an affiliate for Bushs® beans. I do not earn a penny from talking about these delicious gluten-free canned beans.
I’m mentioning them here because they meet all my requirements for processed foods that I buy. First and foremost, they are naturally certified gluten-free and cholesterol-free. They’re a healthy choice that’s packed with protein, fiber, and flavor making them super tasty, and they’re super convenient for when you want to pull together a meal in no time flat using them as an ingredient or as a satisfying side dish!
Picture the recipe step-by-step...
Enjoy the recipe!
Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Hotdogs & Beans
- Medium-size skillet
- Grill (indoor or outdoor) or grill pan
- Utensils (Grill Tongs, Heat-proof Spoon)
- 4 Stadium-size hotdogs large hotdogs work best, but regular-sized will also work
- 2 ounces Chipotle cheddar cheese divided and cut into 1/4” x 1/4” strips
- 4 slices thick-sliced bacon (pre-cook the bacon 1-2 minutes for crispier bacon)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can 22 oz. Bushs® Steakhouse Recipe Grillin’ Beans®
- 1 small red bell pepper coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- Jalapeno slices * optional
- Prepare the Hotdogs using a sharp knife, cut a slit in the hotdogs about halfway through, cutting lengthwise the full length of the hotdog.
- Place a strip of Chipotle Cheddar cheese into the cut area of each hotdog. Wrap one slice bacon around each cheese-stuffed hotdog, tucking in the ends of the bacon slices, or securing with a toothpick to keep the bacon held in place. Set aside until ready to grill.
- Melt butter in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pepper and onion cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add beans; stir and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- Meanwhile, place the hotdogs on a medium-high heat grill (approximately 300ºF). If using a stovetop grill pan or indoor grill, you will want to use medium heat.
- Grill the hotdogs until the bacon is fully cooked, carefully rotating as they cook to keep the cheese inside the hotdogs.
- When the bacon is cooked to your liking, remove from the grill and place it into the pan with the beans. Spoon the beans over the hotdogs and simmer for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, top with jalapeno slices*, and serve immediately.
(Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.)
Copyright © 2017-2020 Kymberley Pekrul | G-Free Deliciously | gfreedeliciously.com | All content, and photographs are copyright protected. The sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please read my Photo Use Policy for detailed guidelines and further clarification.